Summer Activities for Seniors
Summer is here and our patients would surely love to enjoy the sunny, warm weather!
On a temperate day, try taking a tour in areas with beautiful scenery. Outside gardens have a wide array of charming flowers and unique plants and provide a place where many seniors would enjoy spending time.
- Consider a garden party. There will be plenty of sun and activity on the right day. Just remember the sunscreen and hydration!
- Have a late afternoon picnic or sit in the garden with savory and sweet treats like ice cream.
Is your patient active? If they like to be more physical, consider these summer activities instead:
- Low impact water aerobics at the swimming pool.
- An outdoor workout during the coolest part of the day - early morning is best.
- Walking on a nice, clear day when it’s not too hot. Don’t forget your sun hats!
This is the season to venture out and have fun with your patient. All summer activities don’t have to take place at their residence or elderly care facility. A nearby museum with air conditioning or visit a restaurant where they can enjoy their favorite meal on the outside patio are great options. Local events give your patients better opportunities to enjoy their summer and feel like a part of the community. They may even be interested in a local festive holiday parade or fireworks show.
As a caregiver, be sure to help the elderly stay hydrated as you assist them in their daily summer fun. Benefit them by providing more experiences, taking advantage of the sun and creating more memories that they can share with their family and friends. They will thank you!